Sinus Tachycardia - Sinus Rhythms
- Sinus Tachycardia occurs when the rate of electrical impulse formation occurs at a rate exceeding 100 bpm.
- This can occur for a number of different reasons i.e. diet, stress, illness, response to physical exertion etc.
- The only difference between Normal Sinus Rhythm and Sinus Tachycardia (Sinus Tach) is the rate exceeds 100 bpm. All other steps of rhythm analysis will be “normal.
- An additional challenge that will present as rhythm rates accelerate is that the cardiac complexes will come closer together. This can result in the P wave becoming partially or completely buried within the T wave of the previous cardiac complex.
- The result of a partially buried P waves means you are unable to establish the beginning of atrial depolarization. Meaning you will be unable to measure and report the PR interval. The only way it will be possible is if the physician instructs you to increase the machine printing speed (remember interval times will double at 50 mm/sec).
Analyze this tracing using the five steps of rhythm analysis.
- Rhythm: Regular
- Rate: 125
- P wave: upright, partially buried
- PR interval: unable to determine
- QRS: 0.08 sec
- Interpretation: Sinus Tachycardia
Authors and Sources
Authors and Reviewers
- EKG heart rhythm modules: Thomas O'Brien.
- EKG monitor simulation developer: Steve Collmann
12 Lead Course: Dr. Michael Mazzini, MD.
- Spanish language EKG: Breena R. Taira, MD, MPH
- Medical review: Dr. Jonathan Keroes, MD
- Medical review: Dr. Pedro Azevedo, MD, Cardiology
- Last Update: 11/8/2021
Electrocardiography for Healthcare Professionals, 5th Edition
Kathryn Booth and Thomas O'Brien
ISBN10: 1260064778, ISBN13: 9781260064773
McGraw Hill, 2019
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition
Cover Publishing Company
12 Lead EKG for Nurses: Simple Steps to Interpret Rhythms, Arrhythmias, Blocks, Hypertrophy, Infarcts, & Cardiac Drugs
Create Space Independent Publishing
Heart Sounds and Murmurs: A Practical Guide with Audio CD-ROM 3rd Edition
Elsevier-Health Sciences Division
Barbara A. Erickson, PhD, RN, CCRN
The Virtual Cardiac Patient: A Multimedia Guide to Heart Sounds, Murmurs, EKG
Jonathan Keroes, David Lieberman
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkin)
ISBN-10: 0781784425; ISBN-13: 978-0781784429
- Project Semilla, UCLA Emergency Medicine, EKG Training Breena R. Taira, MD, MPH