Graph Paper - Cardiac Rhythms
- The value of time and voltage just discussed is very important to understand, but it must be combined with an understanding of the grid or graph paper the tracing is printing upon that you are analyzing.
- The grid is broken down in small boxes (1 X 1 millimeter) and heavier darkened lined boxes.
- There are five small boxes going from left to right and bottom to top of each large box (5 X 5 mm).
- Voltage is important when measuring the height or depth of a waveform.
- The height or depth provides an indication of the amount of electrical activity occurring within the heart.
- Voltage can be affected by a number of different factors to include the amount of viable muscle mass in the heart.
- When analyzing cardiac tracings, the question always comes up “where do I measure from”?
Authors and Sources
Authors and Reviewers
- EKG heart rhythm modules: Thomas O'Brien.
- EKG monitor simulation developer: Steve Collmann
12 Lead Course: Dr. Michael Mazzini, MD.
- Spanish language EKG: Breena R. Taira, MD, MPH
- Medical review: Dr. Jonathan Keroes, MD
- Medical review: Dr. Pedro Azevedo, MD, Cardiology
- Last Update: 11/8/2021
Electrocardiography for Healthcare Professionals, 5th Edition
Kathryn Booth and Thomas O'Brien
ISBN10: 1260064778, ISBN13: 9781260064773
McGraw Hill, 2019
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition
Cover Publishing Company
12 Lead EKG for Nurses: Simple Steps to Interpret Rhythms, Arrhythmias, Blocks, Hypertrophy, Infarcts, & Cardiac Drugs
Create Space Independent Publishing
Heart Sounds and Murmurs: A Practical Guide with Audio CD-ROM 3rd Edition
Elsevier-Health Sciences Division
Barbara A. Erickson, PhD, RN, CCRN
The Virtual Cardiac Patient: A Multimedia Guide to Heart Sounds, Murmurs, EKG
Jonathan Keroes, David Lieberman
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkin)
ISBN-10: 0781784425; ISBN-13: 978-0781784429
- Project Semilla, UCLA Emergency Medicine, EKG Training Breena R. Taira, MD, MPH